We are excited for 2021.
As the world slowly goes back to normal, you may wonder if traditional in-person focus groups have the benefits that make working around the adaptations a benefit to the research. Making the appropriate choice for your research has always been a question and, in 2021, we have those choices given to us again.
Human interaction via in-depth interviews, focus group discussions, and ethnographies help researchers gather certain types of insights from participants. When considering which methodology works for the project, here are five factors that are gained in an in-person setting.
- Brainstorming. The group dynamics created in a physical setting often spur participants to jump off one another’s points, allowing for more creativity and ideas to stem from the study.
- Nonverbal cues. Something that can be missed in online polls and surveys is the nonverbal cues that participants give when answering, or choosing not to answer, a question. Be it the tone of voice, body language, eye contact, all of these cues may provide more insight into the study than simple written answers or multiple-choice questions.
- Opportunities for more activity. Not only does a traditional focus group include discussion, but surveys and polls that would be used in an online study may also be incorporated for more layers of insight.
- Shared Experience. Groups get everyone together to focus on the topic for a specific time and have everyone engaged at the same time. By having the group together with the moderator, with all their focus on the study at hand and no other distractions, you have a group which is sharing an experience and can be directed as a group. The material can be changed, adjusted, or probed by the moderator. The full richness of the human experience is available when everyone is together on the journey of the research step by step.
- Human connection. Whether it’s a medical study, product launch, or topical survey, human connection resonates much more than other forms of communication for many participants. When they feel valued, the quality of insight they provide will be much more beneficial to your research.
When you are ready for in-person research or prefer online, the choice is up to you, & we are here to help!
No matter the format you choose, having a team behind you to recruit quality, engaged participants, pay incentives, and transcribe your research to gain insights faster is critical to your success. Focus Forward provides the highest quality nationwide qualitative and quantitative recruitment for marketing research studies, as well as transcription, coding, incentive processing, and translation services. Connect with us today to get started!