2021 Words of the Year
To define a whole year with just a single word, Merriam-Webster uses data to determine what the top word for that year was. Unsurprisingly, Merriam-Webster chose “pandemic” for their 2020 word of the year and selected“vaccine” for 2021. Likewise, Oxford Languages announced that its word of the year was “vax.”
Vaccine – 2021’s Word of the Year
It’s no surprise that “vaccine” is 2021’s word of the year and that it’s the most fitting word to follow up “pandemic.” According to Merriam-Webster, the number of searches for the word “vaccine” increased 601% year-over-year from 2020. Lookups for “vaccine” throughout the pandemic increased by 535% in August.
Other Popular Words in 2021
While the word “vaccine” attracted a great deal of attention this year, it wasn’t the only popular word. Merriam-Webster also provided a list of other words that were prominent.
- Insurrection – an act or instance of revolting against civil authority or an established government.
- Perseverance – NASA’s Mars rover.
- Woke – aware of injustices in society.
- Nomad – 2021’s Best Picture at the Oscar Awards.
- Infrastructure – President Biden’s infrastructure plan.
- Cicada – large insects that make a loud, shrill noise.
- Murraya – the winning word of this year’s Scripps National Spelling Bee.
- Cisgender – a person whose gender identity corresponds with the sex the person was assigned at birth.
- Guardian – the new name of Cleveland’s professional baseball team.
- Meta – the new company name of the former Facebook, Inc.
Other companies also announced their top word of 2021: Dictionary.com announced their word for 2021 was allyship – someone who advocates for marginalized groups. Collins Dictionary selected NFT, the abbreviation for cryptocurrency non-fungible token, for their word of the year.
Get Expert Transcription Services Today
At Focus Forward, we understand how important words are. We have years of experience transcribing audio files for businesses in all industries. Contact us today to learn more about our transcription services.